Thank you to Reflections from Me for nominating me for this awesome award. This is a blogger nominated award where you can get to know others by answering some light hearted questions.
Here are my questions and answers:
1.What has been your biggest pleasant surprise about starting your blogging career?
My biggest pleasant surprise has been that people who are not duty-bound to read my writing (ie my Mum) seem to engage and enjoy it!
When I first started blogging whilst travelling I was amazed to find that my friends were avidly waiting for the next instalment. But it was after the kilometres were clocked up that my personal journey really began. I had been a Career Mummy and I don’t mean I had a career while I raised my kids – my kids were my career! I baked, played, created, socialised and immersed myself in being the best Mummy I could be. But before I could blink my babies were 12 and 14, they refused to call me Mummy, rejected my helicopter parenting and sought independence! So it is exciting when mummy2mum strikes a chord with readers and they comment, subscribe and share my work.
2.If you could sit down with one person alive or not, who has influenced your writing who would it be and why?
If I could sit down with one person it’d be my Dad. He has been the greatest influence on my thinking, and as my writing reflects my thinking it is his presence that I feel when I write. Dad died in 2009, but we shared a deep desire to find meaning and truth through our lived experiences. On my 12th Christmas he had an astrological natal chart drawn up for me and inside the front cover he wrote the ancient Greek quote
He inspired me to become a deeply reflective thinker, and I write with a desire to ‘Know thyself’; including the good, the bad and the ugly!
3.Describe your fashion style or lack there of.
4.Pearls, Gold or Silver?
Silver every time.
I like pearls on other people, but they are too conservative for me. My wedding band is rose gold and I have some gold on my Pandora bracelet, but that’s about the extent of my gold collection!
5.Favourite children’s author past or present?
J. K. Rowling is my favourite author, although technically she writes for ‘children’ I think she speaks to the inner child in all of us. I have read and re-read the Harry Potter series many times, and both of my children share my passion for her writing. I have also been lucky enough to share her work as a teacher and many of my students have been enthralled and inspired by the world she weaves.
6.Five foods or dishes you can never say ‘no’ to?
- Salted Red Rock Deli chips – my favourite thing with a glass of wine.
- Strong cheddar cheese – eaten with dates and crackers.
- Chilli-con-carne – made by my husband with lashings of guacamole, sour cream and jalapeno.
- Crispy bacon – with BBQ sauce and hash browns yum!
- Fruit flavoured jelly sweets (lollies for my Aussie readers) – especially lemon flavoured jelly dinosaurs!
7.The album or singer you are embarrassed to admit you love?
Lets put it this way, I’m not embarrassed to admit to loving Leonard Cohen, but I don’t exactly advertise it either! Why? Because people just don’t get it!! His music is soulful performance poetry at it’s best and it’s mine to know and nobody else’s to share!
8.Are you a party girl or a homebody? And you have to pick one over the other here ladies.
I’m a homebody, although that ‘home’ could be a tent hundreds of KMs from civilisation!! I love spending time with my family, whether it’s sharing a home cooked meal and then curling up on the sofa in-front of a movie, or lighting a camp fire and watching the embers glow. My home is where my heart is and my heart belongs to them!
9.What inspires you to keep blogging?
Five things that inspire me to keep blogging:
- Personal fulfilment – I simply enjoy it!
- Purposeful reflection – it gives me a reason to purposefully explore the complexities of family life.
- Making connections – I’m a social butterfly and I love to connect with my readers and talk to other bloggers.
- Achieving a dream – writing for a living is my dream and blogging is the first step towards achieving it
- Discovering myself – as a Mum I hear the voices of my family, as a Writer I find my own voice.
10.Final question. If you published your dream novel, what style would it be? Fiction, non fiction, romance, murder mystery, self-help, advice, horror, or other?
I have always loved the escapism of the fantasy genre so my dream novel would be a fantasy adventure, following in the footsteps of writers such as Tolkein, Robin Hobb and Christopher Paolini.
I will nominate:
Kamille at Skinny Jeans Mum
Liz at The Connected Life
Sami at Craven The City
Glowless at Where’s My Glow?
Mariet at Practicing Normal
Here are the rules:
- Link to the person who nominated you.
- Add the award logo.
- Answer the questions your nominator has asked.
- Nominate up to 7 other bloggers and let them know via messages or comments.
- Ask your nominees 10 questions.
Your 10 questions:
- What’s the most challenging thing you find about blogging and how do you overcome this challenge?
- What is your favourite quote and why?
- Name one piece of technology that you simply can’t live without.
- What is one thing that really annoys you?
- Describe one of your most embarrassing moments?
- What’s your favourite website and why?
- Name one thing that you’ve never done but would love to try.
- If you were stranded on a desert island with one book what would it be and why?
- If you could travel back in time what period in history would you visit and why?
- On your blog, which post is your favourite and why?