Recipe Road Test is a new weekly feature for the blog. I’m going to experiment on my family and report back to you on what we loved or loathed!
As the topic-of-the-moment on mummy2mum is healthy lunch boxes for teens, this seemed like a perfect place to start the Road Test.
Recipe Road Test can extend beyond the lunch box, but that depends on what you, my lovely readers, want!
Your suggestions will be the driving force behind this feature!
Week 1 Recipe Road Test
Three Cheese Macaroni Stuffed Peppers
The wonderful Tiffany from Crème de la Crumb has created the Three Cheese Macaroni Stuffed Peppers and I’ve road tested them as lunch box savouries for my teens. Kathy’s post on 9 Pasta Leftovers For Lunch Ideas gave me the idea to use these macaroni stuffed peppers as a lunch box item.
The Road Test Team
The Road Test Team consists of:
- Biscuit my 14 year old, who has a voracious appetite (it’s all about quantity for this one!)
- Berry my 12 year old who is more interested in kicking a soccer ball than finishing his lunch
- Excel-man my hubby who claims that ‘food is functional’, but has lots to say if it isn’t to his liking!
- Me the health conscious chef!
After some discussion we decided that lunch box items need to be ranked on 4 areas:
- Taste – the most important!
- Practicality – is it practical to take it to school in a lunch box?
- Looks – if it looks appealing then that’s half the battle!
- Improvements – this may include tweaking the ingredients, or recommending it to the dog!
Here’s The Verdict
As I’m the main chef in our house, I thought it’s worth noting how labour intensive this recipe was. I found it a bit time consuming to make solely for lunch boxes, but as I combined it with cooking an evening meal that also needed a cheese sauce (cauliflower cheese) I just made extra!
What Did Everyone Agree On?
We all agreed that these peppers would taste amazing HOT! But eating cold baked pepper was not a big hit for the majority and had an impact on the taste scores.
Everyone found them too big and messy for a practical lunch box item. For me this was the most valuable information from the road test – as I thought they looked great for lunch boxes…just shows how wrong you can be!
We all thought they looked really yummy, and this is reflected in the high score.
- Add spring onion to the macaroni cheese before baking
- Add bacon was Biscuits suggestion (although he adds bacon to everything)!
- Serve hot as the pepper was a bit watery cold
Next Weeks Recipe Road-Test
I’d love to hear any suggestions you have for a Recipe Road Test. Next weeks recipe will appeal to those of you who have a sweet tooth!
Don’t Forget to subscribe to receive next weeks Recipe Road Test direct to your inbox!